Sunday, July 27, 2008

How to Find the Right Babysitter

The most important thing when looking for a babysitter is finding a babysitter you can trust. References are helpful but doing your own investigation will insure that you made the right choice. Sitter services are great. They do everything for you for the price of a monthly membership, which you can cancel at any time. They even include background checks for an additional fee. I would highly recommend going through a sitter service because they ask all the pertinent questions you would ask. What’s really nice is these sitter services make it so easy for you to search for a babysitter within miles of your home.

The second most important thing in choosing a babysitter is finding a babysitter nanny that is qualified. This does not necessarily mean a sitter who has a lot of experience. I think it’s more important to find a babysitter who loves her job and someone who loves children.

The 3rd thing I look for in finding a babysitter is finding a sitter that will follow instructions or my house rules. A very important rule I have is no talking on the phone or cell. A babysitter’s total focus should be on my children since that is what I’m paying her for.

Eventhough sitter services ask many of the questions that you would ask in a interview, it is still very important for you to conduct your own interview and meeting with the babysitter before making your final decision.

Set Up an Interview

After you have preselected 3 or 4 prospective babysitters, you should set up an interview with each babysitter and have your children present. You need to see how the babysitter reacts around your children and how your children take to the babysitter.

Prepare a List of Babysitter Questions

Prepare a list of babysitter questions you would like to ask the babysitter. This will make the interview go smoother and you won’t forget anything important. Also ask the babysitter if she has any questions for you. I love when a babysitter asks questions about the children. I think this shows that she is really intested in doing a good job.

Another idea for the interview is to think of a difficult situation you had when your child misbehaved or was sick and ask the babysitter how she would handle it.

I prefer for my babysitters to have CPR training in case of an emergency. This is a huge plus in my book.

Give Your Babysitter a Trial Run

It’s a good idea to give your babysitter a trial run with you there. I usually have the babysitter watch my children for a couple of hours while I busy myself with some hard-to-get to chores around the house. This controlled condition with the child is a good way for your child to get to know the babysitter and will give you some insight as to how the relationship will be. I think the babysitter should feel comfortable watching your children but more importantly your child should feel comfortable and safe with the babysitter.

Need a babysitter? Find the most qualified sitters at Sittercity.com.

No comments: